We’re taking a closer look at the rides in Disney’s Hollywood Studios, with our recommendations for the best ones for kids (by age)!
Although Hollywood Studios may bring to mind such dramatic thrill rides as Tower of Terror and Rock ‘n’ Rollercoaster, rest assured that there are attractions for every age and preference in accordance with Walt Disney’s vision of a theme park for the whole family. With such captivating and immersive lands as Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and Toy Story Land, you are sure to find an attraction that appeals to your children–of any age.
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (any height) – One of the newer attractions to be built in Hollywood Studios (and soon to come to Disneyland!), this whimsical ride takes you into the cartoon world of Mickey and Minnie. The stunning visual effects and storytelling of this ride are sure to delight both you and your little ones.
Hollywood Studios offers engaging and exciting rides that will appeal to your toddler-preschooler.
- Toy Story Mania! (any height) – A must-do for any Toy Story fan, this ride will “shrink” you down to toy-size and put you in Andy’s room for a series of 4D midway games. Little ones will love taking their best shot at different targets and challenges as their tram car moves them through each game.
- Alien Swirling Saucers (32” or taller) – Take a spin on a flying saucer piloted by the cutest little aliens from Pizza Planet. Because of the twists and turns on this ride, there is a height requirement of 32” inches–so just make sure your little Toy Story fan is tall enough to ride!
Grade School Kids
Your grade school-aged kids will enjoy some of the more thrilling and thematic rides at Hollywood Studios.
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run (38” or taller) – Get ready to step aboard the most iconic ship in the galaxy and pilot a daring mission! This realistic simulation ride is both exciting and interactive: there are tasks for each designated “role” aboard the Millennium Falcon, including pilot, gunner and engineer. Brave kids will love this ride!
- Slinky Dog Dash (38” or taller) – This family-friendly roller coaster continues to be one of the most popular rides in Hollywood Studios. There are twists, turns and small drops to thrill any Toy Story fan.
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue (40” or taller) – Board a starship and take flight into the galaxy with C-3PO and other recognizable characters from Star Wars. This 3D ride uses flight simulator technology and storytelling to put you in the worlds from the films. Be aware that the 3D features can prompt motion sickness in some.
Big Kids to Teens
Tweens, teens or thrill seekers meeting the height requirements will love these dramatic and high-flying rides.
- Rock ‘n’ Rollercoaster Starring Aerosmith (48” or taller) – You don’t have to be an Aerosmith fan to enjoy the thrills of Rock ‘n’ Rollercoaster, but it helps! This exhilarating ride launches from 0 to 60 in less than 3 seconds, and speeds you through the highways of Los Angeles to the songs of Aerosmith. Be warned: this roller coaster goes upside-down!
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (40” or taller) – Join the resistance and embark on a daring escape mission from the First Order. This groundbreaking attraction puts you in the universe of Star Wars from the moment you enter the queue; you will be interrogated by the First Order, break out in a daring escape, avoid AT-ATs, Stormtroopers, laser fire, and Kyle Ren before you crash land back on Batuu. The incredible theming, motion and visual effects of this ride will make you feel like you’ve entered a galaxy far, far away.
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (40” or taller) – The iconic “Hollywood Tower Hotel” looms over Hollywood Studios, beckoning the bravest thrill-seekers to visit the haunting hotel and find out what mysteries lie within. You will make your way through the dusty abandoned lobby, down to the basement where you will board an eerie old elevator lift. This ride features dark scenery and terrifying, unpredictable drops up to 130 feet–so take caution before you enter the Twilight Zone!
In addition to the rides offered at Hollywood Studios, there are many shows and entertainment experiences, unique character meet-and-greets, and nighttime spectaculars. Some of my particular favorites for kids of all ages include Muppet Vision 3D and “For The Time In Forever: A Frozen Singalong Celebration.”
For more planning tips for your visit to Hollywood Studios, check out these articles on what to do if you only have one day at Hollywood Studios, how to enjoy Hollywood Studios without waiting in any lines, and the ultimate guys guide to Hollywood Studios!