Continuing our series of the best rides at Disney World for kids by age, we’re taking a closer look at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. This unique theme park offers breathtaking sights and entertainment for guests of all ages, and it certainly is a full-day (or more!) experience. You will encounter animals in beautiful habitats, world-class shows and music, delectable dining and more during your visit to Animal Kingdom.
When it comes to rides, Animal Kingdom offers a variety of unique experiences from relaxing boat rides to thrilling roller coasters. Read on for our recommendations for the best ones for your kids by age.
When looking for rides that are suitable for you to enjoy with your baby, keep an eye out for those with no height requirements.
- Kilimanjaro Safaris (any height) – For a unique and up-close look at the wildlife of Animal Kingdom, Kilimanjaro Safaris is a must-do. Board an open-air vehicle and ride through the Harambe Wildlife Reserve, home to over 34 species of animals. Even the smallest adventurers will be amazed to see animals like giraffes strolling by–but hold on tight to your little ones, as the ride can get bumpy!
- Na’vi River Journey (any height) – Your baby will likely be transfixed by the luminous rainforest and thematic elements of this slow-moving boat ride, which takes you on a relaxing journey through the beauty of Pandora. This ride is also a great opportunity to rest your feet and cool off a bit!
- TriceraTop Spin (any height) – Your toddler or preschooler will love taking a spin on this ride, especially if they are a fan of dinosaurs! The ride is interactive and perfect for curious little ones, who can raise or lower their flying dino when they sit in the back seat or tip the dino forward and backward when they sit in the front seat.
Grade School Kids
Your grade school-aged kids might enjoy some of the more wild rides that Animal Kingdom has to offer.
- Avatar Flight of Passage (44” or taller) – For a breathtaking and otherworldly experience, head into Pandora to find one of Animal Kingdom’s most popular rides. The realistic experience uses a unique ride vehicle, 3D technology, smells and sounds to make you feel as though you are flying a real Banshee through the wild landscapes of Pandora. Make sure your kids are not prone to motion sickness before they ride, as this thrilling experience can prompt nausea in some people!
- Kali River Rapids (38” or taller) – This ride takes you through beautiful scenery and thrilling whitewater rapids; and at the end, you’ll encounter a 20-foot slope waterfall. Note that this ride does spin around through the rapids, and you will definitely get wet!
Big Kids to Teens
When it comes to thrills, Animal Kingdom has exciting rides that are perfect for tweens, teens and beyond!`
- DINOSAUR (40” or taller) – This exciting and dramatic ride takes you back in time to when dinosaurs roamed the earth–but look out for asteroids and prehistoric carnivores! I recommend this ride for big kids and beyond, as the thrilling ride track, loud noises and thematic elements of this ride can be scary for many younger children.
- Expedition Everest (44” or taller) – Visit the iconic snow-capped mountain in the center of the Asia section of Animal Kingdom and board a train through the Himalayas, and perhaps you will encounter a legendary beast who dwells there. There are high-speed drops, thematic effects and a backwards plummet on this roller coaster–perfect for the bravest thrill-seekers.
In addition to the rides offered at Animal Kingdom, there are theatrical shows, exploration trails and of course plenty of wildlife to behold. For more planning tips for your visit to Animal Kingdom, check out these articles on spending one day at Animal Kingdom, the five best snacks, and recommendations for the best non-ride experiences with no lines!