We are edging in on the 2-year mark of Walt Disney World’s shutdown due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The abrupt closure of all Disney parks around the world disrupted long-planned dream vacations and halted the making of magical memories. Fortunately, the closure of Walt Disney World only lasted 117 days, but the pandemic’s health protocols have since changed park operations. The good news is that guests who have traveled to the parks relay that the magic is still there through the required masks indoors, social distancing, and some altered and missing experiences!
In recent months, Walt Disney World has officially reopened almost all of their resorts with All-Star Movies being the last, set to reopen on March 31, 2022. Walt Disney World has also seemingly been able to acquire the staff and have the demand for the reopening of more and more attractions, shows, and restaurants as announcements of re-opening experiences, especially character meet and greets and entertainment, seem to come weekly. This is exciting news for Disney fans who have upcoming vacations!
Things are constantly changing at Walt Disney World, so this list of attractions, shows, character meetings, and dining opportunities is current as of the date of publication. This list does not include things closed for refurbishment.
There are only 2 attractions in all of Walt Disney World that have not reopened since March 2020 and they are both in Magic Kingdom. Enchanted Tales with Belle and the Walt Disney World Railroad remain closed, but guests have reported seeing test runs of the railroad this week. Could it finally reopen soon? Stay tuned to DVC Shop for the latest update!
- Main Street Trolley Show
- Main Street Philharmonic at Storybook Circus – marching band
- Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade – Returning March 9, 2022!
- British Revolution rock band
- Jeweled Dragon Acrobats
- Serveur Amusant™ – French Acrobats
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid
- Disney Junior Dance Party!
- Fantasmic – returning in 2022!
- Green Army Drum Corps
- Toy Story’s Green Army Patrol
- Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple
- Fireworks & Nighttime Entertainment including Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular
- Finding Nemo – new show set to open some time in 2022!
- Harambe Village Acrobats
- Pandora Drummers – Swotu Wayä
- Fireworks and Nighttime Entertainment
Character Meet and Greets
While some of the character meet and greets remain closed, each park still offers cavalcades and various time throughout the day when characters are out and about waving to guests. And while the use of autograph books is still suspended, there is no lack in opportunity to see your favorite characters! The list below includes designated spots that used to serve as a meeting spot for characters that have not (yet) returned.
- Minnie and Tinker Bell at Town Square Theater
- Ariel at her Grotto
- Donald, Goofy, Daisy, and Pluto at Pete’s Silly Side Show
- Tigger and Pooh at Thotful Spot
- Alice and Wonderland at the Mad Tea Party
- Characters from Aladdin in Adventureland
- Gaston Near his Tavern
- Merida at Fairytale Garden
- Peter Pan in Fantasyland
Character spots for Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Daisy have not yet returned. However, Donald returned to outside of the Mexico Pavilion in January 2022!
- Mickey and Minnie at Adventurers Outpost
- Donald and friends at DinoLand U.S.A.
- Pocahontas on Discovery Island Trails
- Russell and Dug at Discovery Island
- Timon and Rafiki at Discovery Island
- Pandora Rangers
- The Incredibles at Pixar Place
- BB-8 Astromech on Duty
- Meet the Woody, Jessie, and Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story Land
- Meet Sully at Walt Disney Presents
- Star Wars Launch Bay: Encounter Darth Vader and Chewbacca
While most character dining experiences have reopened with modified procedures, the following have still remained closed with no re-opening announcement thus far.
Cinderella’s Royal Table – While this experience is open, it is modified with only Cinderella strolling through the restaurant. The prince and other princesses that used to join her are no currently appearing.
Akershus Royal Banquet Hall in the Norway Pavilion for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
The Grand Floridian
- 1900 Park Fare at Grand Floridian Resort for breakfast and dinner
- Wonderland Tea Party at 1900 Park Fare
- Bon Voyage Breakfast at Trattoria al Forno
- Cape May Café breakfast at The Beach Club Resort
- Bibidi Bobbidi Boutique
- Harmony Barber Shop
As the 50th anniversary celebration continues, we hope and expect more experiences to come available throughout 2022. What are you hoping returns next? Do you think autograph books will be permitted again soon when meeting characters? Let us know in the comments below!
Featured Image by Steven Miller (CC BY 2.0)