Planning and booking DVC vacations is what every member of Disney Vacation Club lives for. However, from time to time there does arise the unfortunate occasion in which one must cancel or change their well-planned, anxiously awaited Disney vacation. As a DVC member, if you find yourself in this unfortunate situation here is how to cancel or change a DVC reservation.
DVC’s Change and Cancellation Policy
DVC has one of the most accommodating cancellation policies in the industry. The change and cancellation rules are as follows:
- If you cancel a reservation 31 days or more before your check-in date, you won’t incur any penalty. All points used for the reservation will be returned to your account into the reservation’s Use Year.
- If you wish to cancel or change a reservation 30 days to 1 day before your check-in date, the points used for the reservation will be put into a holding account in the reservation’s Use Year. Points in a holding account are subject to the holding account rules.
- If you cancel your reservation on the check-in day, all points are forfeited.
- If you change a reservation 31 days or more before your check-in date and your new reservation uses less points than your original reservation, you will not incur any penalty. Any unused points will be returned to your account into the Use Year of the original reservation.
- If you change a reservation 30 days to 1 day before check-in and your new reservation uses less points than your original reservation, any unused points will be placed into a holding account and will be subject to the rules listed below. Points in the holding account will expire at the end of the Use Year.
- If you change a reservation on your check-in date, any used points will be forfeited.
When owners cancel or change reservations between 30 days and 1 day before their check-in date, the reservation’s points are placed into a holding account. The points in a holding account can only be used to book new reservations within 60 days of check-in. Points in a holding account will expire at the end of their Use Year.
Cancellations Using Borrowed Points
Cancelling reservations that are made using banked points can result in the loss of those points if you’re not planning ahead. Borrowed points cannot be banked, borrowed, or returned to the Use Year they were borrowed from. In the event of cancellation, the borrowed points will expire if you cannot travel during the same Use Year your cancelled vacation was scheduled.
Speak With Member Services
Cancelling your DVC reservation can prove to be tricky due to the rules set in place for DVC memberships. Always call Member Services for guidance, as there are many situations where they can help guide you through the process to avoid unnecessary surprises. You can reach DVC Member services by calling (800) 800-9800.
Contact our DVC Shop Resale team with any additional questions regarding DVC membership contracts, rules and policies.