If you’re a DVC owner you may have found yourself in this particular situation in the past. You’ve run out of points! More specifically, you’re just short of a few points to book your perfect Disney vacation. Thankfully, Disney Vacation Club provides owners with the option to buy one time use DVC points. Let’s review how buying one time use DVC points works and how you can use this benefit on your vacations.
Who Is Eligible?
Every DVC owner is eligible to purchase 24 one time use points from DVC per Use Year. There is no special sign-up or stipulations for this benefit. It is available to all members, whether you purchase direct from Disney or purchased resale.
Some members will even be able to purchase more than 24 one time use points per year if they own multiple contracts with different Use Years. Owners who own multiple Use Years receive different membership numbers for each Use Year they own. Therefore, members lucky enough to be owners of Use Years and subsequently multiple memberships, are eligible to purchase 24 one time use points per membership.
How Does It Work?
It’s simple! If you’re a DVC owner booking a reservation and you are shy of a number of points to complete your reservation, simply contact DVC Member Services to request the purchase of additional one time use points needed to complete your reservation booking.
Things to keep in mind:
- One time use points can only be purchased to complete a reservation booking.
- One time use points can only be purchased for reservations in the 7-month booking window.
- One time use points are not eligible for purchase to complete reservations during your Home Resort priority.
While DVC rates are subject to change any time, the current price for one time use points is $20 per point (as of September 2023), taxes included.
Cancellation Of Reservations Booked With One Time Use Points
If you must cancel the reservation booked with the one time use points you purchased from DVC, the points will be returned to your account and can be used to book a reservation for your current Use Year. One time use points will expire at the end of your Use Year.
It’s important to note that one time use points cannot be banked, borrowed or transferred.
There are no refunds or returns for one time use DVC points. If you must cancel the reservation booked with these points, the points will be returned to your account and can be used to book another reservation.
What If I Need More Than 24 Points?
DVC only allows each membership the option to purchase 24 one time use points per year. However, there are alternatives if you need more than 24 points.
- If you own multiple contracts that do not have the same Use Year and therefore you have more than one DVC membership, you may purchase 24 one time use points per membership, per Use Year.
- DVC Rentals is another great way to purchase or “rent” points to book your perfect vacation. When you rent points from an owner they will book your desired reservation on your behalf and provide. Pricing for rentals varies but can start from approximately $16 per point. For more information on DVC Rentals, contact DVC Shop Rentals (link).
- Taking advantage of Member Cash Rates can be an additional alternative for those who don’t want to use their points, can’t use their points, or if point reservations are unavailable for their dates. Member Cash Rates are specially discounted nightly rates available to DVC members only. Generally these rates are about 25% off regular nightly rates at the DVC Resorts. Booking a reservation with the Member Cash Rates discount means you’ll be paying cash for your reservation and will not use any points.
Keep in mind that DVC Rentals often offer lower rates than Member Cash Rates. Be sure to check DVC Shop Rentals for rental offers, promotions and discounted confirmed rental reservations for savings of up to 60% off regular rates.
Buying one time use DVC points is a great perk available to all DVC members. Keep the above rules in mind if you choose to take advantage of this benefit.