In just a few months from April 16-19, 2020 one of Disney’s biggest events, Star Wars Rival Run Weekend will be coming to the Walt Disney World Resort for the fifth year in a row. For Star Wars enthusiasts this is definitely an event you won’t want to miss. During the various runs held throughout the weekend, participants dress as their favorite Star Wars heroes and villains as they race around the resort, earn medals for their efforts and pose for photos with their favorite Star Wars characters. The Disney Marathon Star Wars Rival Run Weekend includes a variety of races and events. If you’re thinking of participating as a runner, walker or spectator, here are all the details you’ll need to know.
There are three races and a challenge held over the course of this epic weekend. They are as follows:
Rival Run Half Marathon – $205 Registration
Held on April 19th is the main event during this fun weekend, the Rival Run Half Marathon. The 13.1 mile race starts at the Magic Kingdom, winds through the resort and parks, finishing in the Epcot parking lot. Runners are greeted and cheered on by Disney characters throughout the route. The minimum age for participants is 14 for the Half Marathon.
Rival Run 10k Run – $147 Registration
The day before the headliner race on April 18th, a shorter 6.1 mile race is held. The 10k race follows a similar route as the Half Marathon and ends in the Epcot parking lot. Anyone over the age of ten may participate in the 10k race.
Rival Run 5k – $107 Registration
On April 17th, runners can join a shorter 3.1 mile race around Epcot. Anyone over the age of five can participate in this event.
Rival Run Challenge – $350 Registration
Those looking for an additional challenge can sign up for the Rival Run Challenge which includes both the Half Marathon and the 10k race. Upon completion of this 19.3 mile challenge participants receive 3 medals; 2 Finisher Medals and a Challenge medal.
In addition to the adult races listed above, there are several events taking place for children over the weekend. Children as young as 12 months to 8 years old can participate in Kids Dashes. While children between 4 and 13 may participate in the One Mile Race.
Anyone wanting to participate in Star Wars weekend without participating in a race can join the chEAR Squad for $70. This package includes viewing from a VIP area as well as free drinks, a few keepsakes and access to designated restrooms.
runDisney Health & Fitness Expo
The Health and Fitness Expo is where participants and spectators can purchase race themed food and beverages, pick-up their race bib, shirts and gEAR bags as well as purchase souvenirs and fitness apparel.
Tips to Enjoy Star Wars Rival Run Weekend
- Sign up early. Disney Marathons are extremely popular and registration for the shorter 5k and 10k races are generally sold out months in advance. Sign-up as soon as registration opens in the Summer prior to the race.
- Free transportation to the race is included for guests staying at a Disney World Resort. Those staying at a non-Disney resort will need to arrange their own transportation.
- Florida can be chilly in the early mornings. Dress in layers that you don’t mind donating. Any clothing dropped during the race will be donated to a charity.
- Races do not include admission to the parks. During the event runners will be running through the parks but are not allowed to stay in the parks. Admission to the parks requires a regular park ticket.
- The finish line area tends to be very busy. Make sure to plan a meeting spot with family and friends accordingly.